We are committed to treating our service users and employees fairly with compassion, respect and dignity. Equality analysis helps us understand the needs, experiences and outcomes of different staff and service users so we can put this commitment into practice. We use a tool called an equality impact assessment (EIA) to do this.
What is an equality impact assessment?
An Equality Impact Assessment (EIA) is a way of analysing the way a policy or service change will affect equality and people with different protected characteristics.
Why do we use equality impact assessments?
Using EIAs helps improve our understanding of the needs and experiences of different staff and service users. This helps us make fairer decisions, better policies and improve our services. It also helps have greater consistency in the way we do this across the Trust.
The public sector equality duty requires SLaM to have due regard to the need to eliminate unlawful discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations in all relevant day to day business. Using EIAs helps us comply with this law.
When do we use equality impact assessments?
We use equality impact assessments when:
- Developing new policies or reviewing existing policies.
- Considering service developments.
- Developing our other plans and strategies
- We are required to implement a decision over which the Trust has no control. For example a change in funding that may have been decided elsewhere but still requires us to consider mitigating measures or alternative ways of doing things to minimise the impact on services and equality.
How does the equality impact assessment process work?
The equality impact assessment process has 3 steps:
- Assess whether the policy, practice or decision is relevant to equality
- Assess what the equality impacts of the policy, practice or decision are (if relevant to equality)
- Produce an action plan to maximise positive and minimise negative equality impacts of the policy, practice or decision
Here is the equality impact assessment template we use.
Equality Impact Assessments for policy development:
The trust uses equality impact assessments when developing or reviewing policies. These can be found in the appendicies of each policy available at policies and procedures.
Equality Impact Assessments for strategy development: