Area of expertise
- Assessment of ASD and intellectual disability
- Behavioural and systemic approaches to challenging behaviour
- Adapting interventions for young people with intellectual disability and/or ASD
- Mental health conditions in people with intellectual disability and/or ASD
- Social and health inequalities in people with intellectual disability
Dr Wrein is a Senior Clinical Psychologist in the Autism and Intellectual Disabilities Intensive Intervention Team (AID-IIT). AID-IIT is part of National & Specialist CAMHS, working closely with local services across London to help them support young people with intellectual disabilities and/or autism who are at risk of inpatient admission. Dr Wrein has a particular interest in working with complex systems and understanding the roles of the individual, their families, care workers and professionals.
After completing his undergraduate degree, Dr Wrein went on to work with people with neurodevelopmental conditions experiencing high levels of distress and displaying behaviour that challenges others. Dr Wrein has worked across a range of settings including residential, educational and NHS services, both in front line and psychology roles. Dr Wrein completed his professional doctorate in clinical psychology, where he maintained his clinical and research focus on people with neurodevelopmental conditions.
Before joining National & Specialist CAMHS, Dr Wrein worked in a central London child development service assessing children with social communication difficulties and providing parent interventions for young people with complex paediatric presentations.
Dr Wrein is currently involved in the development of a universal intervention to promote emotional literacy in children with additional needs, this is in collaboration with the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities.
Dr Wrein is enthusiastic about disseminating and discussing psychology outside of traditional mediums, he enjoys interacting with a wide audience through social media.
Education and registrations
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology with Neuroscience (1st Class) - University of Sussex
- Professional Doctorate in Clinical Psychology - University of East London
- Registered with the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Chartered Psychologist (C.Psychol) with the British Psychological Society
- Member of the Association of Clinical Psychologists (ACP-UK)
Wrein, D (2019) Understanding the Role of Care Staff in Supporting Individuals With an Intellectual Disability Who Take Psychotropic Medication. Prof Doc Thesis University of East London School of Psychology https://doi.org/10.15123/uel.87570