Dr James Rucker
Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist
Dr James Rucker is an Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist and NIHR Clinician Scientist Fellow, specialising in mood disorders and psychopharmacology, at the Centre for Affective Disorders at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience at King’s College London (UK). Dr Rucker completed his medical degree at University College London (UK) in 2003 before training in psychiatry at the Maudsley, Bethlem and Springfield Hospitals in South London. He completed his PhD in the molecular biology of mood disorders at King’s College London in 2012.
Dr Rucker specialises in novel treatments in mood, anxiety and trauma response disorders and is particularly interested in the therapeutic interface of psychotherapy, psychopharmacology and society. He leads The Psychedelic Trials Group at King’s College London, which undertake gold standard clinical trials of psilocybin and MDMA assisted therapy for treatment resistant mood, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorders. He is also one of the few psychiatrists in the UK trained to prescribe medical cannabis in the treatment of psychiatric conditions.
||NIHR Clinician Scientist Fellow. The Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, Kings College London
||Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist. South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
||Honorary Clinical Research Fellow. The Centre for Neuropsychopharmacology, Imperial College London.
Degrees and Professional Qualifications
||Certificate in Clinical Trials. London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
||Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT). General Adult & Old Psychiatry.
||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Kings College London, London, UK.
||Approval under Section 12(2) of the 1983 Mental Health Act
||MRCPsych, The Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, UK
||MBBS(Lond), University College London, London, UK
||BSc with 1st class honours in Medical Sciences and Human Physiology
- Young, A. & Rucker, J. Historic Psychedelic Drug Trials And The Treatment Of Anxiety Disorders, 12 Jun 2020, (Accepted/In press) In : Depression and Anxiety. 16810959.
- Butler, M., Nicholson, T. R. J., Pick, S., Kanaan, R. A. A., Lees, A., Young, A. & Rucker, J. Psychedelic treatment of functional neurological disorder - a systematic review. 11 Feb 2020, (Accepted/In press) In : Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology.
- Association of Copy Number Variation of the 15q11.2 BP1-BP2 Region With Cortical and Subcortical Morphology and Cognition. Writing Committee for the ENIGMA-CNV Working Group , 30 Oct 2019, In : JAMA Psychiatry. p. 1-11
- Zhang, X., Abdellaoui, A., Rucker, J., de Jong, S., Potash, J. B., Weissman, M. M., … Levinson, D. F. (2019). Genome-wide Burden of Rare Short Deletions Is Enriched in Major Depressive Disorder in Four Cohorts. Biological Psychiatry, 0(0). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsych.2019.02.022
- Rucker, J.J.H., Iliff, J., & Nutt, D. J. (2018). Psychiatry & the psychedelic drugs. Past, present & future. Neuropharmacology. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropharm.2017.12.040
- R. L. Carhart-Harris, M. Bolstridge, C. M. J. Day, J. Rucker, R. Watts, D. E. Erritzoe, M. Kaelen, B. Giribaldi, M. Bloomfield, S. Pilling, J. A. Rickard, B. Forbes, A. Feilding, D. Taylor, H. V. Curran, and D. J. Nutt, “Psilocybin with psychological support for treatment-resistant depression: six-month follow-up,” Psychopharmacology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 1–10, Nov. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00213-017-4771-x
- M. Rivera, A. E. Locke, T. Corre, D. Czamara, C. Wolf, A. Ching-Lopez, Y. Milaneschi, S. Kloiber, S. Cohen-Woods, J. Rucker, K. J. Aitchison, et al., “Interaction between the FTOgene, body mass index and depression: meta-analysis of 13701 individuals,” The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 70–76, Aug. 2017. https://dx.doi.org/10.1192%2Fbjp.bp.116.183475
- Rucker, J & Winstock, A (2017). Psychedelics. In: The Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry (2017)(in press)
- Rucker, J.J., Jelen, L., Flynn, S., Frowde, K & Young, A (2016). Psychedelics in the Treatment of Unipolar Mood Disorders: A Systematic Review. Journal of Psychopharmacology (Oxford, England), 0269881116679368. http://doi.org/10.1177/0269881116679368
- Carhart-Harris, R. L., Bolstridge, M., Rucker, J., Day, C et al. (2016). Psilocybin with psychological support for treatment-resistant depression: an open-label feasibility study. The Lancet, 3(7), 619–627. http://doi.org/10.1016/S2215-0366(16)30065-7
- Rucker JJH, Tansey KE, Rivera M, Pinto D, Cohen-Woods S, et al. (2015) Phenotypic Association Analyses with Copy Number Variation in Recurrent Depressive Disorder. Biol Psychiatry, 79(4): 329–336. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4725574/
- Rucker JJ, McGuffin P (2014) Chipping away at major depressive disorder. Genome Biol 15: 421. doi:10.1186/s13059-014-0421-3.
- Rucker JJH & McGuffin P. Genomic structural variation in psychiatric disorders. Development and Psychopathology (2012). 24;4;1335-1344. doi:10.1017/S0954579412000740
- Rucker J. Affective Psychopharmacology Prescribing, in Nicholson TR*, Gunarathne A, Singer DR (Eds.). Pocket Prescriber 2012. 5th Edition. Hodder Arnold, London 2012. Expert contributor to affective psychopharmacology section. ISBN-10: 1444163167
- Rucker JJH, Breen G, Pinto D, Pedroso I, Lewis, CM, et al. Genome-wide association analysis of copy number variation in recurrent depressive disorder. Molecular Psychiatry 18, 183-189 (2012), doi:10.1038/mp.2011.144
- Rucker JJH, Newman S, Gray J, Gunasinghe C et al. OPCRIT+: an electronic system for psychiatric diagnosis and data collection in clinical and research settings. British Journal of Psychiatry (2011). 199(2):151-5. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.110.082925
- Rucker JJH, McGuffin P. Polygenic Heterogeneity: A Complex Model of Genetic Inheritance in Psychiatric Disorders. Biological Psychiatry (2010) 68;4;312-313. doi:10.1016/j.biopsych.2010.06.020
- Owen GS, Szmukler G, Richardson G, David AS, Hayward P, Rucker J, Harding D, Hotopf M, Mental capacity and psychiatric in-patients: implications for the new mental health law in England and Wales. 2009, Br J Psychiatry, 195, 257-63. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.108.059782
- Rucker JJH, McGuffin P. Invited Editorial: Why do we need to understand the molecular basis of depression? Biomarkers in Medicine (2008) 2(2); 101-104.