Accept Cookies

Cookies: We use cookies on our website to make it clear, useful and reliable. This includes storing a small amount of data about you. By navigating to other sections of our website, you are consenting to information being stored. Find out more here.

Coronavirus: Stay alert, protect the NHS, save lives... Find our Covid-19 information and updates here >
Patients and carers

How to appeal

Patients and carers

How to appeal

Patients and carers

How to appeal

Patients and carers

How to appeal

You and those close to you can raise concerns, questions and complaints about your treatment and care while you are under section.

If you disagree with the conditions of your section or community treatment order, or you want it to end, you or your nearest relative can appeal to either of these two groups:

Mental health tribunal

An independent legal group who hears from you, your responsible clinician and your care coordinator at a meeting called a hearing.

Write to the MHA Office at your current hospital, or the one you were discharged from, to start an appeal.

Associate hospital managers (AHMs)

A group that runs similar meetings to the Mental Health Tribunal. The official name for them under the Mental Health Act is hospital managers. We call them associate hospital managers or AHMs to avoid confusion with other managers.

To start an appeal, email or write to: 

Associate Hospital Managers
Mental Health Act Office
Maudsley Hospital
Denmark Hill
London SE5 8AZ

Getting help with an appeal

Your care co-ordinator can help you appeal - or your solicitor, if you have one. You can download our solicitor list here.

If you go to a tribunal and a solicitor puts your case you can usually get free legal help (Legal Aid).  

You can also get free, independent and confidential help from an independent mental health advocate.

You can bring someone with you to hearings for support, such as a carer, friend or family member, however they are not allowed to speak on your behalf and the appeal panel needs to know in advance.