My Health Record

I have used health care services provided by SLaM. Do you keep information about me?

Yes. We keep information about you in your medical records. This information helps us to give you the best possible health care.

What information do you keep in my medical records?

The information in your medical records includes:

  • basic details about you, such as your name, address and next of kin
  • contacts we have had with you, such as visits to clinics
  • notes and reports about your health, any treatment and care you need or receive
  • results of investigations, such as x-rays and laboratory tests
  • information from other health professionals, relatives or those who care for you and know you well.

Is my information kept confidential?

Yes. We have a legal obligation to keep your personal information confidential.

Who can access my medical records in your organisation?

You may be seen by a number of staff within the Trust and may be transferred from one clinical service to another. The information you give to us will be available to all staff involved in your care.

Do you use my personal information for research?

If we need to use information about the care you receive for research or to improve our services, we remove your name and all other personal details which could identify you. If we need the information in a form that could identify you, we will ask for your permission first.

Do you share information about me with other health care providers?

South London and Maudsley, Guy's and St Thomas' and King's College Hospital work together with King’s College London as King's Health Partners. Our shared aim is to provide all our patients with the best possible care.  To support this, we have developed a way to link our clinical information systems so that the doctors, nurses and other health professionals caring for you can access your health records, including test results, details of allergies and information about any previous treatment. 

For more information, visit Local Care Record or speak to the doctor or nurse caring for you.

What about sharing information with other organisations?

We will not give information about you to other organisations - such as housing departments, voluntary sector providers or education services - without your consent. However, there may be circumstances when either you or someone else might be at risk. In these circumstances, we have a legal obligation to share information with other organisations.

What if I want to see my medical records?

You have a right to see, or obtain a copy of, your medical records under the Data Protection Act (1998). You will need to write to the Data Protection Office and complete a Subject Access Request Form. The law says that you must have a response within 40 days of your application reaching the Data Protection Office. We will then provide you with a copy of your records. Alternatively, we may give you an appointment for you to see them at the hospital. You may be refused access to some or all of your medical records, if the information would cause serious harm to your mental or physical health, or if the information relates to, or is provided by, someone else

What if I need someone to see my medical records?

Other people, who need to see your medical records, can write to the Data Protection Office on your behalf, as long as they have written permission from you. This includes a legal representative, such as a solicitor, or any person instructed by a Court to support you (if the Court decides that you are unable to do some things by yourself, and you need help from someone else).

Can I see my child's medical records?

If you are a parent or guardian of a child under 16, you can ask to see their medical records. You will need to write to the Data Protection Office and complete a Subject Access Request Form (see: What if I want to see my medical records?) If your child is old enough to make a decision about this, you may not be able to see their records without their consent.

How do I get to see the medical records of a deceased person?

If you want  to see the medical records of a deceased person in relation to a claim, you need to write to the Data Protection Office. You may not be able to see the records if they contain information that the person expected to remain confidential. In addition, the Trust may refuse access if we believe that the information would cause serious harm to the mental or physical health of any other person, or would identify another person.

Can I access my medical records if I am living abroad?

Under the Data Protection Act, you still have the right to apply for access to your UK medical records even though you may have moved abroad, as long as you are in the European Union. We will help people, where possible, who are in other countries.

How do I update my personal details in my medical records?

It is very important that we have your correct details. If you change your name, address or telephone number, please tell your care co-ordinator so that we can update these details on your medical records.

I have other questions and need further information. What should I do?

You can contact the Data Protection Office at the address below for further advice:

Data Protection Office, CR2-Clinical Records, Maudsley Hospital, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AZ

Tel: 020 3228 5174

What if I want to make a complaint?

If you are not happy about the way we handle your personal information and would like to make a complaint, you can speak to a member of staff at the Data Protection Office or make a formal complaint to the Complaints Department.

If you are still not pleased with the outcome, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner (the person responsible for regulating and enforcing the Data Protection Act). The Information Commissioner can be contacted at the following address:

The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow,

Cheshire SK9 5AF

For further information, you can visit their website at


Here's a short interview with our Caldicott Guardian Dr Dele Olajide, who has overall responsibility for confidentiality at SLaM.


In the next short film you can find our about our electronic patient records system.

Website Design by ConsultSMB