Armed Forces Community
image credit: ©UK MOD Crown Copyright 2022
As a Trust, we are committed to supporting the Armed Forces Community. We have pledged to promote and raise awareness of the Armed Forces Community, be an Armed Forces friendly employer and ensure members of the Armed Forces Community receive appropriate care. We have a legal requirement due to the Armed Forces Bill 2021, to meet the Armed Forces Covenant Duty. We are also working towards gaining our Veterans Awareness Accreditation.
The Armed Forces Covenant is part of the NHS Constitution. The Covenant is a promise from the nation that those who serve or have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly. It is a promise that they should not be disadvantaged because of their service. It is a recognition of the sacrifices they make on our behalf, and the responsibilities we owe them in return. Read more about the Armed Forces Covenant and the NHS
What you can expect from us
As part of our commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant and the legal requirement as part of the Armed Forces Bill 2021, our Trust will ensure that:
- The Armed Forces community enjoy the same standard of, and access to healthcare as that received by any other UK citizen in the area they live.
- Family members retain their place on any NHS waiting list if moved around the UK due to the service person being posted.
- Veterans receive priority treatment for a condition which relates to their service, subject to clinical need.
- Those injured in service will be cared for in a way that reflects the nation’s moral obligation to them, by healthcare professionals who have an understanding of the Armed Forces culture.
What we ask of you
Please do let our staff members know if you are part of the Armed Forces community – the community includes serving personnel and their families and dependents, reservists and veterans.
Healthcare services for members of the Armed Forces community in our Boroughs
- Defence Medical Welfare Service - https://dmws.org.uk/ (Health, discharge, home adaptations ect)
- Op COURAGE - https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/armed-forces-community/mental-health/veterans-reservists/ (mental health, families support officer, peer support workers)
- Royal British Legion - https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-support/physical-and-mental-wellbeing (financial aid, furniture, energy bills)
- Walking with the Wounded -https://walkingwiththewounded.org.uk/Home/Programmes (physical injuries, pain)
- Op NOVA - https://www.forcesemployment.org.uk/programmes/op-nova/ (leaving forensic settings)
Wider sources of support
For more information about the ways in which our Trust supports the Armed Forces community, please contact Eliza Wright: Eliza.Wright@slam.nhs.uk