The Future of De Crespigny Park 

We want people using our services to continue receiving world-class mental health care and treatment. We want them to get the right care, in the right place, at the right time. However there is an urgent need to redevelop our hospital facilities, as many of our buildings are old and in poor condition. 

This year, as part of ambitious plans to modernise our buildings and services, our Trust is closing Mapother House, the Michael Rutter Centre, and Professorial Building on De Crespigny Park - to be developed into much-needed housing and a staff nursery.

Built in the 1930s, the trio of buildings are home to many of our Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS). These services will be moving to the brand-new Pears Maudsley Centre for Children and Young People

These closures are part of a £186 million investment we are making to provide modern, safe, and therapeutic environments for people who use our services, and for staff to work in. Our modernisation programme will create good quality clinical space with enough space to support the delivery of care.  


De Crespigny Park Redevelopment

Our vision is to relocate these services into new and improved other facilities including the Pears Maudsley Centre for Children and Young People and to release value from the surplus estate at Maudsley Hospital to reinvest back into our current and future hospital and community facilities while creating much needed affordable new homes, for local people in Southwark.

These proposals will enable us to deliver our vision to transform our inpatient facilities and deliver world-class mental health care in the 21st century, benefiting the people and communities we serve. In October 2021, Southwark Council's Planning Committee voted in favour of the scheme

Download the Southwark Statement of Proposal

Provide much needed affordable homes in Camberwell:

Our proposals will deliver approximately 189 new homes comprising a mix of 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments, 50 per cent of which will be affordable homes. 70 per cent of the affordable homes will be social rented housing and the remaining 30 per cent intermediate housing. The housing will be split across three main blocks ranging in height between five storeys fronting on De Crespigny Park, stepping up to eight storeys towards the south, on the hospital side of the site.

Find out more

Helipad Scenic Image
North South Image

Introduce a new pedestrian walkway to better connect the community:

Our plans include a new pedestrian North-South link to improve connectivity from De Crespigny Park to Denmark Hill station and beyond. We are proposing a pedestrian friendly, car-free development including 568 bicycle spaces.

Find out more

Provide a nursery for the children for Trust staff:

We intend to replace the existing nursery, for 0-4 year olds, which is currently provided for our staff, and incorporate it in our plans for the site. The new nursery will be a purpose-built facility with a safe and secure outdoor play area. We will keep a nursery service running for our staff at, or as close as possible to, the Maudsley Hospital site, during construction.

Find out more

Nursery Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Created from feedback by our staff, service users and carers and externally with our partners, members of the public, nearby residents and members of the local councils. 

Find out more

Public Spaces

Our landscape architects have designed the external spaces to promote and foster positive mental health and well-being through the features and planting.

Find out more

Community Engagement

We held commnity engagement opportunities to provide further opportunities for local people to speak with the project team.


Find out more

Global Banner