Module 1: Introduction to Supporting the Mental Health and Mental Wellbeing of Adults with a Learning Disability
Duration: 1 day (9.30am to 4pm)
- To provide social care support staff with an understanding of the mental health needs of adults with a learning disability and how to promote wellbeing.
- Participants are advised to have completed module 1, 'Introduction to Supporting Adults with a Learning Disability' course before attending this training.
- Support Workers, Day Centre Support Staff, Care Assistants, Personal Assistants etc.
- People who are new to the role of supporting adults with learning disabilities.
- Anyone working with adults with a learning disability who requires a refresher on this topic.
- Understand the difference between mental wellbeing, mental health and mental illness
- Know why adults with a learning disability are more likely to develop mental health problems.
- Identify strategies to support people with learning disabilities with their mental health and wellbeing.
- Recognise some commonly known mental health diagnosis.
- Be able to actively promote mental wellbeing when supporting people with a learning disability.
- What is mental health?
- Vulnerability factors.
- Mental health problems in people with a learning disability - prevalence and presentation.
- Commonly known mental health diagnosis.
- Supporting the assessment of mental health problems in people with a learning disability.
- Local mental health in learning disability services and professionals
- Mental Health Act and other legislative frameworks.
- Different interventions for mental health.
- How to support someone with a learning disability and mental health problem.
This course is a must for all professionals working with people with learning disabilities. It gave a clear understanding of how to develop strategies to support and manage the mental wellbeing and mental health of the people we support.
Booking this course
Our courses are free of charge to learners working in not-for-profit organisations in London boroughs of Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark and available for a fee to all other learners. Please click the relevant booking link below.
On booking a place on this training programme, you will be directed to Estia Oracle, our new virtual learning environment where you can access workshop information, learning materials and resources. If you would like to book multiple places for this course please email email@example.com