Module 1: Becoming trauma-informed: How an awareness of trauma-informed care can positively enhance your work and the lives of those you support.
Duration: Half-day (9.30am to 1pm)
- Raise awareness of the impact of trauma in the lives of people with intellectual disabilities.
- Space to reflect on current practice and how it may be enhanced through becoming more trauma informed.
- Feel confident in advocating for wider system change that support a trauma-informed approach.
- Social care staff such as Support Workers, Day Centre Support Staff, Care Assistants, Personal Assistants etc. This course is not recommended for NHS staff.
- Particularly targeted at support workers working with adults with learning disabilities who may be unfamiliar with this approach and its potential benefits.
- Anyone with an interest in understanding how a trauma informed approach may be used to support work with adults with learning disabilities.
- Increased awareness of what trauma is and how it impacts on the lives of those you support.
- Increased awareness of what a trauma informed approach means in practice.
- Be able to confidently apply a trauma informed understanding in your role supporting adults with learning disabilities.
- Be able to confidently advocate for system level change.
- What is trauma?
- What impact can trauma have on us and those that we support?
- What is a trauma-informed approach to care and support?
- How do I become more trauma informed in my role?
- How can I advocate for wider system change that acknowledges role of trauma?
The course was so worthwhile - it provided a good overview of trauma informed care for those with learning difficulties, but I also felt it was transferable to other settings too. The facilitators were knowledgeable, and the pace of the training meant it didn't feel rushed but I also felt I learnt a lot in the 3.5 hours!
Booking this course
Our courses are free of charge to learners working in not-for-profit organisations in London boroughs of Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark and available for a fee to all other learners. Please click the relevant booking link below.
On booking a place on this training programme, you will be directed to Estia Oracle, our new virtual learning environment where you can access workshop information, learning materials and resources. If you would like to book multiple places for this course please email email@example.com