Module 2: Supporting People with Learning Disabilities at the End of Their Life (a City & Guilds Assured programme).
Duration: One and a half days (Workshop 1 - 9.30am to 4pm. Workshop 2 (online) - 9.30am to 1pm)
- To provide participants with an understanding of how to support people with a learning disability at the end of their life.
- Support Workers, Personal Assistants, Day Centre Workers, Junior Line Managers.
- More experienced staff who support adults with learning disabilities and autism who are looking to develop their knowledge and skills into more advanced and specialist areas.
- Those with a good understanding of supporting adults with a learning disability or have completed our Module 1 ‘Introduction to Supporting Adults with a Learning Disability’ course.
- Understand end of life and palliative care
- Understand the death and the process and people’s response to end-of-life.
- Explore our feelings about end of life and know how to help oursleves and other people who may be supporting someone with the end of life journey.
- Recognise the importance of supporting individuals to understand that they may be approaching the end of their life.
- Be able to support people to plan for their end-of-life journey and care.
- Know the importance for supporting individuals to know that they may be approaching the end of their life.
- Understand how to support people to plan for their end-of-life care and journey.
Content: Workshop 1
- Advocacy and support to talk about death and dying
- Supporting personal preferences
- Communicating about their illness and symptoms
- End of life care pathways
- Symptom management and pain management
- Supporting families and friends and the team
- Cultural and religious differences.
Content: Workshop 2
- Review of workshop 1, action plans and reflection on pre-workshop video activity.
- How to support someone to plan for their end of their life.
- Refection on experience and impact of this training.
This course helped me know what to look for when people are aging and support they need. I recommend Estia as a company that promotes excellent training in the care sector. I have tried them and they are one of the best.
City & Guilds Course Requirements
In addition to attending all workshops, participants will be required to complete and submit all the following learning activities on Oracle, our virtual learning environment in order to successfully complete the course:
- Develop a self-identified action plan at the end of first workshop.
- Work towards achieving their action plan goal during the month before the final workshop.
- Complete and submit assigned workbook exercises before the final workshop.
- Complete and submit a reflective exercise at the end of the final workshop.