Module 1: Introduction to Supporting Adults with a Learning Disability
Duration: 1 day (9.30am to 4pm)
- To provide participants with a general introduction to working with adults with a learning disability.
- Participants will gain an understanding of the mental and physical health needs of adults with a learning disability and how to positively support them.
Support Workers, Day Centre Support Staff, Care assistants, Personal Assistants etc.
People who are new to the role of supporting adults with learning disabilities.
Anyone working with adults with a learning disability who requires a refresher on this topic.
- Know what a learning disability is and how a learning disability affects a person’s life.
- Understand the history of learning disability and how it impacts on the lives of the people we currently support
- Recognise evolving social and cultural perspectives in relation to learning disability
- Identify strategies to support adults with a learning disability more positively and effectively.
- Be able to identify the local health and social care services available and how to access them.
- What is a learning disability?
- What are the causes of a learning disability?
- The history of learning disability.
- Changes to services and attitudes.
- Inequalities in healthcare.
- The additional needs that someone with a learning disability may have.
- Supporting communication.
- Introduction to local services.
A really helpful course that welcomed open discussion and was a great space to ask questions and share knowledge. The information and guidance from the facilitator had real-world, practical uses. Definitely recommend It!
Booking this course
Our courses are free of charge to learners working in not-for-profit organisations in London boroughs of Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark and available for a fee to all other learners. Please click the relevant booking link below.
On booking a place on this training programme, you will be directed to Estia Oracle, our new virtual learning environment where you can access workshop information, learning materials and resources. If you would like to book multiple places for this course please email firstname.lastname@example.org