How our service can help you
The Assessment and Liaison Service is for Lewisham residents with mental
health problems or residents from neighbouring boroughs who are
registered with a Lewisham GP.
The service works to each of Lewisham's four GP neighbourhoods, and assesses people who are referred according to the following timescales:
- within 24 hours - for urgent referrals
- within 7 days - for priority referrals
- within 28 days - for routine referrals
The service accepts referrals from GP's, primary care and social care colleagues. It does not accept self-referrals
The Service provides expert advice and consultation to help primary and adult social care colleagues look after patients, where possible, without the need for a secondary mental health service.
Where a secondary service may be indicated, a member of the multidisciplinary team will see the patient within the relevant timescale and provide the referrer with a comprehensive psychosocial assessment and formulation in keeping with NICE guidelines and Trust and Local Authority policy.
Current criteria for referral are:
- NICE guidelines for treatment in primary care have already been applied
- there is a significant mood, anxiety or personality problem
- there is a moderate or serious risk of harm to self or others
- the primary problem is not one of harmful use of alcohol or drugs
- there may be a psychotic disorder which can't be managed in primary care.
Examples of possible outcomes are as follows:
- discharge back to primary care with detailed advice and guidance about treatment
- referral onwards to other secondary or more specialist service
- signposting to more appropriate services or agencies in the community
- up to 12 weeks treatment and support provided in accordance with NICE guidelines.
- Service Type: Community assessment and brief intervention Service Borough Covers: Lewisham Treatment type: Community
Contact the servicePhone Number: 020 3228 9262 Fax Number: 020 3228 9200
- Disabled Access: Yes
1 Southbrook Road
Lee,London, SE12 8LH
- Business Hours/Visiting Hours: 09:00-17:00
- Conditions: Anxiety, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Autism, Bipolar disorder, Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), Childhood degenerative disorders, Conduct disorder, Depression, Dissociative disorders, Eating disorders, Learning disabilities, Neuropsychiatry, Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), Perinatal disorders, Persistent physical symptoms, Personality disorders, Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Psychosexual, Self-harm