How our service can help you
This unique outpatient service provides assessment and evidence-based treatments for women who suffer from serious mental health conditions, including psychosis and severe depression, at times of hormonal change (for example, pre-menstrual, peri and post-menopausal).
A subgroup of women experience highly significant cognitive, mood and neurological disorders associated with fluctuation of sex hormone levels. These windows of vulnerability can occur pre-menstrually, post-natally, or around the time of menopause. Although the underlying cause of these problems may include a complex interaction between psychological and social factors, there is increasing evidence that biological factors are also important.
Our team includes international experts in gynaecological endocrinology, psychiatry, psychology and neurology. They provide evidence-based treatments to manage disorders like premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), peri and post-menopausal mood and memory disorders, cyclical epilepsy and women with neurodevelopmental disorders (for example, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)).
There is a growing body of research that supports the use of specific nutritional, hormonal and non-hormonal (for example, psychological) treatments in the management of these disorders. It is, however, difficult to access expert, unbiased help. We have developed our national service, which is specifically designed to meet this need.
- Service Type: 2 Service Borough Covers: National (Adult services) Treatment type: Outpatient
Contact the serviceSite Location: Maudsley Hospital Email: email@example.com Phone Number: 07596892445
Denmark Hill,London, SE5 8AZ
- Conditions: Addictions, Anxiety, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Autism, Bipolar disorder, Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), Childhood degenerative disorders, Conduct disorder, Dementia, Depression, Dissociative disorders, Eating disorders, Learning disabilities, Neuropsychiatry, Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), Perinatal disorders, Persistent physical symptoms, Personality disorders, Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Psychosexual, Psychosis, Self-harm
Other essential information
- Diagnostic assessment
- Pharmacological treatments (hormonal and non-hormonal
- Female only
- 18 years and over
- Recommendations for treatment to be managed locally
- Reduction in symptoms
- Improved daily functioning and quality of life