Lambeth Mental Health Support Team (MHST)
Our mission statement
Through early support and working with children, young people, families and staff, we help to enable healthy minds and thriving school communities. We offer a safe space to work with you collaboratively and with transparency.
We value who you are and where you are.
What we do
Lambeth MHST has three main roles:
- One to one guided self-help;
- Whole School Approach;
- Signposting to other services.
One to one guided self-help, where we work alongside parents and carers of children experiencing:
- Fears and worries - this is aimed at children who are having difficulties; which might include: separation, transitions, specific fears (e.g. health related or phobias), school, friendship or social worries. This could be at school or at home
- Behaviours that are challenging – this is aimed at children who are having behaviour related difficulties, which might include: managing routines such as getting ready for school, accepting rules and expectations, and sibling and peer interactions. This could be at school or at home.
Whole school approach
- We offer workshops (a one-off session) and groups (a series of sessions) on mental health for pupils, parents/carers and school staff
- Coffee mornings for parents/carers
- To other local services for support
One-to-one guided self-help, where we work alongside young people who are experiencing:
- Anxiety – this is aimed at young people who are experiencing anxious thoughts and feelings related to phobias, avoiding situations, panicking and other pressures (such as family, friends, school or exams)
- Low Mood – this is aimed at young people who have noticed significant changes to their mood which might be impacting on motivation, interest and energy levels. This could be in school or at home
Whole school approach
- We offer workshops as a one-off session, and group workships as a series of sessions all about on mental health for pupils, parents, carers and school staff
- Coffee mornings for parents and carers
- We will give students information about other services which may be able to support them.
How you can get support from Lambeth MHST
Schools have a designated mental health lead who will complete our application form with you. We will then have a meeting called our ‘Getting to Know You’ session which is a chance for us to find out about you, and explore the reasons for why we’re meeting. This will help us decide if the MHST can provide support. If not, we will signpost to a local service that can help.
If you would like to get in contact with us, email us at: LambethMHSTeam@slam.nhs.uk